The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
Joni Marie Newman
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Hold on to Your Buns, the Burger Revolution Has Begun!
The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet takes the popular veggie burger to the next level of freshness and flavor, with more than one hundred daringly delicious, internationally inspired vegan burgers—burgers that stack up to any patty around (meat-full or meat-free) and will wow not only your vegetarian and vegan friends, but all the skeptics too. In fact, we're pretty confident they'd top the charts in any potluck popularity contest they might find themselves in.
The incredible recipes you'll find inside have been expertly designed to suit your every craving and desire, and include such favorites as:
- Sweet Caramelized Onion Burgers
- Korean BBQ Burgers
- Garlicky Ranch Potato Burgers
- Jalapeño Cornbread Burgers
- Curried Chickpea and Broccoli Burgers
- Three Pepper Stir-Fry Burgers
- BLT and Avocado Burgers
- Black Bean Tamale Burgers with Mole Sauce
- Oktoberfest Kraut Burgers
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Artichoke Burgers
With The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet, you'll find 101 ways of looking at burgers in a whole new way. Let's get this "patty" started!
• Use 1 cup (235 ml) of liquid per 1 cup (96 g) of TVP when reconstituting, unless otherwise noted. • Use vegetable broth instead of water for more flavorful TVP. • You can reconstitute a large batch of TVP all at once, and then store in an airtight container in the fridge. It should keep for up to a week. Tips for Kneading the “Dough” • I use my hands. Yes, it’s messy, but I find that it gets the job done best. It also ensures that all of the ingredients are well incorporated. In
underrated ingredient. The sweet savory combos that it can handle are simply limitless. INGREDIENTS: 2 tablespoons (28 g) nondairy butter 1 bulb (5 to 6 ounces, or 140 to 168 g) fennel, roughly chopped 1 onion, roughly chopped 12 ounces (340 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed 2 cloves garlic, chopped Pinch of salt 2 cups (470 ml) water 1 cup (96 g) TVP granules 1 teaspoon cumin 18 ounces (504 g) extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed 1/2 cup (72 g) vital wheat gluten flour 1 cup
25 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. YIELD: 6 BURGERS SERVING SUGGESTION Garnish with Nacho Cheezy Sauce (page 182) and more jalapeños. Nondairy sour cream (page 191) is a nice garnish to cool it down a bit. Serve with a big bowl of chili. 70 Chipotle Sweet Potato Burger Something about the sweetness of a sweet potato combined with the smoky spiciness of chipotle chiles has always reminded me of fall. For this burger, I didn’t even need a bun to enjoy the savory with the
until a dark, golden, crispy crust forms. Transfer to the plate to drain the excess oil. YIELD: 6 BURGERS SERVING SUGGESTION Serve on its own, for breakfast or lunch, with a few slices of fresh tomato. 84 Quiche Lorraine Burger WHEAT FREE Delicieux pour le déjeuner ou à n’importe quel moment! Say what you will about the French, they know how to cook. Bon appetit! INGREDIENTS: 1 cup (120 g) chickpea flour 8 ounces (227 g) plain soy tempeh, crumbled 1/2 cup (50 g)
patty with the flour and milk mixture, and then dredge in the bread crumbs. Place in the frying pan and fry until golden and crispy on each side, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from the oil and dip into the glaze to generously coat both sides. YIELD: 5 OR 6 BURGERS 13 Chow Mein Burger You can add all kinds of veggies to this one. I stuck with carrots and broccoli, but baby corn, edamame, red bell peppers, mung bean sprouts, sugar snap peas, or whatever else you have on hand would make